Friday, April 29, 2016

Why I Have Social Media

Several months ago, I wrote a blog post about why I didn't have social media. If you'd like to read that highly self-righteous piece, click here .

So I still hold to the belief that social media can be used for good and it can be used for bad.Sadly, it is often used for bad more than good, or kids get it to young and do stupid stuff with it. I could go on and on, really. However, I brought up the point in my post was, essentially, that if you use social media to reach out and minister to people, that's cool. Which I still agree with.

Social media, used in the best way, can be really awesome. I still am in awe that people from everywhere can congregate on my computer screen, and here we are. (When I was born, the cell phone was still a novel idea.) As Christians, we can do some real good with it!

Sadly, though, I have seen both good and bad come out of social media. I have seen people be uplifted, and others stomped down by someone with differing views. How sad is that? I am still surprised that grown (hopefully) people will call other people names just because they disagree on what color is that dress. (Recap: remember that dress that simultaneously looked black and blue or cream and gold? Stupid, yes it is.)

Anyway, I have social media for a couple of reasons:

1. I have social media to reach out to Christians and connect, and also to reach out to people who aren't Christians and share the good news of Jesus.

2. I have social media so I can practice my debate skills and to learn how people of different opinions think. Because I love being called names and told I'm stupid. And who doesn't? :)

3. I have social media to support my blog. It's not all a cakewalk after all!

4. I have social media because I am always up for a good laugh. Who doesn't love those cat gif's anyway? They are just so funny!

Here is a parting thought. Social media is not for everyone (despite popular opinion). If you don't have social media, I commend you! But if you do, there's nothing wrong with it. All I ask is that we, meaning everyone, should try to be more responsible with it. If you don't want your mother to read it, maybe it should phrase it a little differently.

Have a great day, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment